This curriculum recognises that many of our children have a range of complex learning difficulties. The approaches within this Curriculum encompass the development of thinking skills, creative learning and movement and is designed to be developmentally appropriate. It enables all pupils to take part in activities that are engaging, meaningful to them and provide relevant and challenging goals.
It is a curriculum for children who learn best when learning is related to their own experiences. Some children may learn through structured play whilst others will learn more effectively through functional activities or through topic-based approaches. Many pupils in this group need to generalise skills and learn how to solve problems.
This academic year the Trunk curriculum is delivered in Otters, Foxes, Butterflies & Badgers. As the Trunk Curriculum is delivered to children ranging from P4 – P8 the approach may differ across classes to meet the needs of each child. An audit will take place once a year to determine the most important aspects of learning for each child, the timetable in each class may be adjusted accordingly.
The timetable for this curriculum will be delivered containing the following areas of learning:
- My Communication
- My Cognition
- My Physical Development
- My Topic/Creative
- My Independence
- My Play & Leisure
- My World Around Me
- Keeping Safe
We recognise that children working at this level show lateral progress which is essential for their development; this is essential progress but can’t always be measured numerically. Assessment of this curriculum will be through:
- Narrative assessment – Observations, photographs and video will capture the progress and experiences of children working at this level. These will be displayed in evidence books.
- MAPP – Using targets set at the Annual Review (APT’s) these will be evaluated once a term.
- PIVATS Assessment - PIVATS assessments will be completed once a year to show progress, and to inform placement of children to establish the curriculum they will follow.
- MAPP Assessments will be completed every term. This will be converted to show percentage progress for each child.
- Work scrutiny of Evidence books twice a year.
- PIVATS assessments to show progress through CASPA.
- Roots for Learning
- Barrs Court
- Equals Semi-Formal Schemes of Work
This topic web shows examples of activities that take place within our Trunk Curriculum.